Here are just a few we’ve heard:
- I don’t have anywhere to put food storage.
- My house is too small.
- I’ll never use all of that food.
- I don’t want people to think I’m a hoarder.
- I’d rather pay for a vacation than a bunch of food.
- I’m too busy.
- I don’t have time to cook.
- I don’t even know where to start.
- I don’t know what to do with it.
- I don’t like the way it tastes.
- I won’t ever eat that kind of food.
- Food storage doesn’t fit into my diet.
- I only eat fresh fruits and vegetables, and lean meats.
- I’ll buy food storage next year when I’m not so busy and have more money.
- I can’t afford to get food storage and remodel my living room.
- When I run out of food, I can just run to the store.
- If there’s an emergency, I’ll just go to my parents’ house.
- My neighbor’s have enough food. I’m sure they’ll share.
- I pay my tithing. If something happens, the church will take care of me.
- If something ever happens, I’ve got a gun and I know how to use it.
These are just a few of the many reasons people avoid getting food storage, but we know there are many, many more. We could tell you why all of these excuses are just that–excuses, but this post would be really long if we did!
The fact of the matter is that our modern prophets have counseled us to store a year’s supply of food, and even if each of these reasons is a valid reason why we shouldn’t do it, the fact that a prophet of God has counseled us to do so, should be reason enough.
In Alma 34:32-33 in the Book of Mormon, Amulek preaches repentance and salvation by preparing to meet God.
For behold, this life is the time for men to prepare to meet God; yea, behold the day of this life is the day for men to perform their labors.
And now, as I said unto you before, as ye have had so many witnesses, therefore, I beseech of you that ye do not procrastinate the day of your repentance until the end; for after this day of life, which is given us to prepare for eternity, behold, if we do not improve our time while in this life, then cometh the night of darkness wherein there can be no labor performed.
Our prophets are called to lead, guide and protect us in these latter-days. They constantly tell us that they know what lies ahead. We have had so many witnesses and we can’t continue to procrastinate or we may find ourselves in a situation wherein there can be no more labor performed. So, just get started! Make a plan and do something! We promise you won’t regret it.